Zac Posen, Dirty, Sexy Money, Tom Ford
It's the end of 2007 and it's time for those annoying "Best Of" and "Worst Of" lists. My least fave of that ilk has always been Mr. Blackwell's Best and Worst Dressed Lists. I've always wondered, "Who the hell is this guy?" And then you see the photos of him and you wonder, "How in the hell can he judge anyone?" I mean... Mr. Blackwell could end up atop one of his own lists. And not the Best Dressed one.
So I did some research (Google) and discovered he was born in 1922, was an actor, agent and successful fashion designer. He's also one of the first openly gay men to do fashion commentary. Simply put he deserves respect. Imagine the level of bravery it took for him to be him. To be out on TV and in the media. He blazed the way for "gay style guys": Cojo, Robert, Carson, Sam and now, me.
Thank you Mr. Blackwell. For your class, bravery and in his own special way trying to make the world more beautiful.
In the spirit of Mr Blackwell's list I would like to do my own. Why? Because I wanna. Because I can. And because Mr. Blackwell did it in a time when it wasn't as easy as typing a few words and clicking "post"! So, in a more modern 2007 blog-on-the-internet kinda way, I'm doing what he did.
Without further ado;
MARCELLAS' 10 BEST DRESSED MEN OF 2007.
10) Terrence Howard - To me Terrence is like the Black George Clooney. This is an actor who has been around for ages and truly paid his dues. And much like George he's a man of a certain age who has come into himself and has presence and style. Yes, often he's a bit too "b-boy" (which is age inappropriate) but when he gets it right he's dead on.
9) James Blake - The Davis Cup winning African-American tennis star. This is what a star looks like. I'm waiting for him to drop his tennis racquet and start making movies. He is gorgeous and dresses impeccably in a world where an ill-fitting blazer thrown over a t-shirt is considered chic.
8) Justin Timberlake - Who doesn't love Justin? The voice. The body. Everything looks great on him. I love that in a casual age he still manages to take real, classic menswear elements (vest and ties.. and yes even fedoras) and make them look modern. One word of caution JT; enough with the sneakers and suits. You are 25...
7) Gabriel Aubry - What is about the Canucks? Another Canadian who is physically perfect and has great personal style. Gabriel has been one of the top male models in the World for years. He's taken that lesson to heart. He's always polished and amazingly put together. The perfect accessory for a movie star. Good on you Halle!
6) The men of Dirty Sexy Money - Peter Krause, Donald Sutherland, Blair Underwood, William Baldwin. There was a scene a couple weeks ago when the men were having cigars and brandy in the study @ Valhalla and Donald Sutherland was wearing a ruby velvet robe, sherbet shirt and pink tie... Wait I digress. I know this has less to do with the actors and more to do with the costume designers but the men on this series dress wonderfully. I find myself week after week not only wondering when Billy Baldwin's character is gonna get busted with the tranny but also where Peter Krause's got that tie.. And briefcase.. And suit...
5) Tom Ford - What can you say about the man that made an aging fashion house (Gucci) relevant for the millennium and beyond? Tom's personal style is minimal, sexy, polished and reeks of confidence. And his new menswear line? Fantastic.
4) Jude Law - This Brit export is not only a talented actor he is classic old-Hollywood style. When you see Jude you think of Clark Gable, Cary Grant and Gregory Peck. He dresses on and off set like a man should.
3) Zac Posen - A designer to watch, Zac dresses incredibly old-school. You get the feeling when you see him he's done his research and his presentation isn't by chance. I love how tailored he is without looking costume-y or stodgy.
2) David Beckham - It doesn't hurt that his face and body are epic. Becks looks amazing in and out of clothes. His style is totally trendy, sorta over-the-top, definitely girly, a bit Euro-trash yet somehow he makes it work. And that is what true style is about; taking risks and looking good.
1) Brad Pitt - All you have to do is rent any one of the Ocean's movies. My fave is Ocean's 11. Brad's wardrobe in that movie is insane. Clothes are meant to be worn by him. And I love how he dresses off set. He's not afraid of accessories; a good watch, great shoes, pocket squares. Simple, clean, tailored. And he wears a ton of J. Lindberg. It seems he knows what looks great on him. Everything.
So there it is, MARCELLAS' BEST DRESSED MEN LIST 2007. Just remember behind every well-dressed man there is (probably) a stylist who is probably gay. I'm just saying.